Will my computer work with Linux? Find out here!

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Sat Nov 11 10:15:10 MST 2006

On Sat, Nov 11, 2006 at 09:56:38AM -0700, Dennis Kibbe wrote:
> The first is http://vendorwatch.org which rates the Linux "friendliness"
> of vendors.  So if you are looking for a network card you can see that
> Realtek, for example, is very Linux friendly where 3Com is less so.

Not to pick nits, but vendorwatch.org is not about Linux friendliness.
It's about how open the vendors are WRT documentation, etc. Open specs
benefit everyone, including Linux. Though the site was started by *BSD
people, it's a resource for anyone interested in having well supported
hardware with open drivers.

OK, I am picking nits. I admit it.

The real issue is that some people consider vendors "friendly" if they
provide Linux "support" in any way, such as nvidia's blob driver for X.
Such "support" is not friendly. Releasing enough documentation for open
source developers to write drivers (without an NDA) is friendly!
Vendorwatch.org helps.

dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |