Restoring missing pieces

Eric "Shubes" plug at shubes.net
Thu Nov 9 09:12:27 MST 2006

vodhner at cox.net wrote:
> I am trying to recover a CentOS 4 system that is mostly working but is missing some pieces.
>
> When the box came to me, I stumbled on the fact that the passwd command was missing, though it had been used recently.  When I obtained a replacement copy (which might not have been correct for this CentOS version), it gave me this message:
>
>     passwd: error while loading shared libraries: libuser.so.1:
>         cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> Of course I could rebuild the whole system, no big deal.  But the /home tree and other things are all in the root filesystem and I'd like to keep that stuff.  Is there some way I could use yum for example, to do an override restore of the basic system?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Vic

If you're lucky, you're just missing a symlink:
$ ls -l /usr/lib/libuser.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 16 May 16 14:20 /usr/lib/libuser.so.1 ->
libuser.so.1.1.1

Does anything else appear to be missing? There are lots of lib* files and
symlinks in that directory.

What release of CentOS4? If it's 4.4, I could tarball my /usr/lib and post
it on the web for you to download.

--
-Eric 'shubes'