How to clean out all "hidden" files on one's computer.

Matt Mets matt.mets at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 11:43:15 MST 2006

I think he means "popup" as in a web browser window, not from a running
program.

It has been my experiance that programs only 'remember' things that are
going to be useful to you, and that data is certainly not going to be
available to the world unless they hack into your computer.  Normally,
programs will keep all of their settings in hidden directories (anything
with a period in front of the name; e.g.: .mozilla) under your home
(/home/{your_username}) directory, and temporary files in the /tmp
directory.

If there is a specific program that you are concerned about (a web browser
would probably be the best example), then you could check its documentation
to see where it keeps its settings.  However, the program should honor your
request to clear the history, cache, etc. from within the program, so it is
probably best not to go around messing with your user profile files
directly.

For example, Firefox should keep its stuff in ~/.mozilla/firefox/ (
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder#Firefox)

In general though, I wouldn't worry about these files too much.  The only
time I find it necessary to mess with them is if a certain program is
behaving badly because of a poor setting; deleting (after backing up!) the
settings for the program ususally clears things right up!

Regards,
Matt