Server recommendations

Jason Etchason loomis53 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 10:44:07 MST 2006

thanks for all the replies.

For the curious, the backend app is called WebSurvent provided by CfMC
( http://www.cfmc.com ).  The program is for collecting & processing
data from online surveys.  Because the system can also tie into our
data collection on the phone side, it's ideal to have the system in
house, rather than getting hosting from the outside.

The hardware specs/cost estimates are not from a hardware supplier,
but from the software supplier of the backend app we're going to be
running.  I imagine they quoted high and could be using an outdated
pricing guide.  I'm not sure how resource hungry the software is, but
according to them a rig at spec given should peak at ~800 concurrent
connections.  I'd guess that our max load will maybe hit 200
conncurent to start, but it's really hard to say and I imagine usage
will go up over time.

Here's a system from penguincomputing.com for ~ $3700

Relion 2600SA Server
2x Xeon 5130 2.0GHz
4GB DDR2-667 (4 x 1GB)
160GB /
Software RAID -  (3) 160GB (hardware raid is additional $800)
DVD-ROM
Fedora Core 5
3-Year Warranty