Server recommendations

Derek Neighbors derek at gnue.org
Tue Nov 7 08:35:54 MST 2006

Jason,

On Nov 6, 2006, at 4:05 PM, Jason Etchason wrote:

> My company is currently looking to purchase a Linux server for a web
> app that comes with the specs listed at end
>
> My questions are:
>
> Does this sound reasonable for a LAMP stack w/ additional resources
> used for a backend app?

It is within reason depending on load.

> Is Fedora a descent distro?  I'm only familiar w/ slack for toying
> around at home.  Unfortunately I'm the guru here, which says naught
> for the company.  Which leads me to the next question...

Not in my opinion.  I would choose Ubuntu personally, but opinions vary.

> Any recommendations for support on this stuff?  We're located on the
> west valley, 59th & Bell.

I STRONGLY suggest you look at Penguin Computers (http://
www.penguincomputing.com) they have been doing Linux based boxes for
well over 10 years we probably have 25 to 30 of them here and they
are rock solid.  Great support and service.  You can get the RAID 5
almost as configured with Linux pre-installed and 3 year support for
under $3,800.

--
Derek Neighbors
Integrum Technologies