new usb

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Nov 5 20:00:24 MST 2006

On Sun, 2006-11-05 at 19:12 -0700, Michael Havens wrote:
> what I'm wondering is why most of the usb devices are showing up
> in 'lsusb -v'? <1>
>
> USB devices:			lsusb shows:
> 	joystick				joystick
> 	quickcam				quikcam
> 	camera
> 	pda
> 	usb hub 				usb hub
> 	flash drive			flash drive
>
> I remember entering a command a few days ago and the printout showed the PDA
> but I couldn't find it in  my previous emails nor could I remember the
> command. Is it possible that the new kernel doesn't support the camera (kodak
> CX 6330) or the PDA (visor platinum) so it doesn't show in lsusb? I wouldn't
> think so. Do you think getting the new usb ports will correct this?
----
pda and camera will only show up during active operation. otherwise,
they will dismount and disappear.

If you plug in your visor, there should be a notation in dmesg...

sudo tail -n 20 dmesg

If you have an application configured to sync with your visor, i.e.
jpilot, when you press the hotsync button on your visor, it will show up
as a usb device. After the sync is finished or when the sync on the
visor gives up, it disappears from view.

As for the camera, it is essentially a disk but it's likely that your
distribution and your desktop manager would have an action prepared to
occur when you connect your camera and turn it on. In essence though, it
would just be another disk - typically mounted in /media.

Again, you should be able to see the effects of connecting your camera,
turning it on in a connect to computer mode in dmesg...(if it doesn't
just automatically work - i.e. launch gphoto/gtkcam). Personally, that's
painful and I prefer to get one of the very cheap usb memory card
adaptors and take the memory card out of the camera and plug it into the
usb adaptor. Again, USB 2.0 is just faster than USB 1.1 which becomes
obvious on a memory card with a lot of pictures. Also note that many
cheap USB hubs might be USB 1.1 and not 2.0

sudo tail -n 20 dmesg

Craig