compile kernel and modules:

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Nov 5 15:48:18 MST 2006

On Sun, 2006-11-05 at 15:32 -0700, Michael Havens wrote:
> Sunday 05 November 2006 3:27 pm, saw the creation of:
> > Personally, I don't know why you don't spend $10 and get a cheap PCI
> > sound card.
> >
> > There is a reason that the standard 2.6 kernels don't have ISA options -
> > it's called performance. It's basically abandoned code.
> >
> > Craig
>
> well, I'm thinking the usb problem might be related. am I just being hard
> headed?
----
A PCI USB 2.0 is also about $10 - though I'm wondering how many
available PCI slots you might have in a system that also has ISA slots.
If this is a USB external hard disk drive, you would definitely want the
PCI USB 2.0 card because it transfers data so much faster than the USB
1.1 that was typical of all computers until about 2 years ago or so.

I told you what to check the other day about USB - udev - because you
were so convinced that it was permissions and device permissions are
controlled by udev. I suppose that if the USB in your box were part of
the ISA bus, that could explain why it doesn't work but I don't think
that USB was part of the ISA bus on any system that I have seen.

Compiling a kernel was about WHY the ISA sound card didn't
work...because the 2.6 kernels don't generally enable the ISA
extensions.

You're likely to break more things in a custom compiled kernel than you
will fix. I would expect that you are going to have to repeat the
process several times until you get it down. It will be painful. It will
suck a lot of time. It all depends upon how you value your time though
whether your are being hard headed or not is not likely determined on
this issue alone.

Craig