Compile kernel and modules

Michael Havens bmike101 at cox.net
Sun Nov 5 09:18:43 MST 2006

Could someone direct me to a webpage  that will instruct me on how to compile
my kernel and necessary modules? Once I get the ISA card working what command
do I issue to see what the card is? I know that it's a soundblaster but
that's all I know about it. I think that the ISA/PCI entries are what I will
need modules for..... is this correct? (you were right Craig, let's do the
whole thing right)

Would you teach me something ? Please tell me if I am understanding how lspci
is responding? It is saying that the host bridge is at the top of the tree
and that under that is a PCI bridge and an ISA bridge.Because we aren't
asking about ISA it goes on to tell what is on the PCI branch. On the PCI
branch an IDE interface (the hard drives <?>), the USB ports,  the fax/modem,
the ethernet ports, the SCSI controller, and the video card. Seeing as how
there is a way to view what is on the PCI bridge why can we NOT view the ISA
bridge? WHy are there two host bridges? I think I see..... the second host
bridge is user peripherals. What is this 'ISA-to-PCI' thing in the third
line? I am thinking now that USB ports might be like the ISA port not
connected... hmmmmmmm.....

Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C598 [Apollo MVP3] (rev 04)
PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C598/694x [Apollo MVP3/Pro133x AGP]
ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586/A/B PCI-to-ISA [Apollo VP] (rev
47)
IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC
Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev
02)
Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586B ACPI (rev 10)
Serial controller: 3Com Corp, Modem Division 56K FaxModem Model 5610 (rev 01)
Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82557/8/9 [Ethernet Pro 100] (rev 05)
SCSI storage controller: Adaptec AHA-2940U/UW/D / AIC-7881U
VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV10 [GeForce 256 SDR] (rev 10)
bmike1 at 1[~]$