sleepy monitor??

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 4 07:21:17 MST 2006

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your help!

inittab says:

# Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
#   0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#   1 - Single user mode
#   2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have networking)
#   3 - Full multiuser mode
#   4 - unused
#   5 - X11
#   6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#

So I can ssh in and "telinit 3" to turn off X, which I'm thinking will free resources.

Then if I want to go to the console directly I can ssh in and "telinit 5" to activate X again.

Do I have this right?  And if so this rocks!!!!

Thanks for your help,
Keith

"Eric \"Shubes\"" <plug at shubes.net> wrote: To recycle X w/out shutting down everything, you can
# telinit 3
from a window, wait for X to terminate, log back into a CLI windown, then
# telinit 5

The telinit command "tells init" to enter the specified run level.
HTH

--
-Eric 'shubes'

Keith Smith