Squid Interception Proxying Troubles

Erik Bixby erik.bixby at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 07:58:07 MST 2006

On 11/1/06, JT Moree <moreejt at pcxperience.com> wrote:

> Yes, we need to know where the proxy is.  Is it on the perimeter
> parallel to the firewall?  If so then what is the default route for the
> network?
>
> If not then is the proxy on the inside or outside of the firewall?

The proxy is on a test network, behind a Cisco 2600 router dedicated
to routing the test network.  All subnets on the "test" network have
addresses on the 2600 set as their default route.  Traffic then goes
through a much larger router, where the rest of the district's traffic
is routed, as well.  From that point it goes out through a firewall
and on to the Internet.

All testing is taking place on the "test" network.  It's quite simple,
the browser and the proxy are behind the 2600.  I've tried them on the
same subnet and on different subnets.  According to what I've read,
WCCP should function no matter where the proxy is, so long as the
proxy is able to establish a connection to the router.  As it is, we
have set up, for testing purposes, as simple a system as we could.
However, rest assured that the outbound port 80 traffic from the proxy
is not being redirected to itself.
-Erik