Squid Interception Proxying Troubles

Erik Bixby erik.bixby at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 15:10:04 MST 2006

As I said in my initial post, I have read every word of Squid's FAQ on
the matter, and I have my iptables set up properly:
root at filter:~# iptables -t nat -L
Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
REDIRECT   tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp
dpt:www redir ports 3128

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
root at filter:~#

I have no expectation that we will be filtering SSL.  There was a post
on the matter earlier, from someone else.  Perhaps, you are confusing
the two.  Although, I do appreciate your attention and willingness to
try and help.

Where I've run into trouble is it seems as though I have everything
setup properly.  Squid works if you connect directly to it.  The GRE
tunnel establishes a connection to the router.  Squid registers itself
with the router and is recognized.  Traffic is forwarded to the Squid
box.  I've verified this with Ethereal; with Squid not registered with
the router, eth0 doesn't see traffic from my browser.  With Squid
registered with the router, I see the traffic on eth0, but nothing
more ever happens...
-Erik