installfest results

Mike Schwartz mike.l.schwartz at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 11:11:54 MST 2006

On 10/31/06, Patrick C <patrick.pxc.c at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd be glad to help with that. I've a few friends who have laptops with
> goofy wifi (broadcom, usually), and so I have some experience with
> ndiswrapper. If I'm feeling up to it, I could help you recompile your kernel
> to support it, assuming your card is just old enough.

Thank you.

My wifi card is an 'external' one that plugs in (temporarily) to
a PCMCIA slot in the laptop PC.
I think the chip is a broadcom (BCM 4318).
(It has been discussed already in some
 other threads in this mailing list).
My sw is currently Unbunto 6.06 but I saw recently
that apparently 6.10 is out now.
   I also might "conisder" using a dual boot
(Windows, Gnu/Linux) setup.
My employer issued me a laptop PC
(which by the way has internal wifi that works fine)
and it has that [dual boot (WindowsXP, Gnu/Linux)].
   (On my own laptop, even if I were running WindowsXP,
I would use Firefox rather than IE;  ..actually, that is
also done [usually] on my "work" laptop PC.)
--
Mike Schwartz
Glendale  AZ
schwartz at acm.org