CLI Spreadsheet

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss at granroth.org
Wed May 31 19:56:38 MST 2006

Ray Cantwell wrote:
> Hello all,
> I was wondering if any of you have seen or used a command line
> spreadsheet program. I have been looking like crazy and can only find
> hints of one.

By "command line", are you just referring to one that will run in a
terminal/console?  I can't think of how you could do a pure command line
spreadsheet... but then, some people really love doing their text
editing with 'ed' so go figure!

Anyway, you might want to look at DOS spreadsheets that can run in
DOSEMU.  I know that the grand-daddy of them all; the ORIGINAL computer
spreadsheet is now a free download.  I'm talking about Visicalc!

http://www.bricklin.com/history/vcexecutable.htm

You can usually pick up older DOS versions of any number of spreadsheets
on eBay for effectively the cost of shipping.

If you want to stick with a pure Linux solution, then I seem to remember
a curses based spreadsheet called 'sc' back in the day.  I can't find it
anymore, but I did find 'slsc' which is based on 'sc' but uses slang
instead of curses.  Plus, there is 'Oleo' which is normally thought of
as a Motif/Lesstif app but has a curses front-end as well.

Looks like there is a good page of Linux spreadsheets including many
I've never heard of:

http://cbbrowne.com/info/spreadsheetsfree.html