.htaccess with apache2

Steven Crandell steven.crandell at gmail.com
Tue May 23 16:40:59 MST 2006

"In general, you should never use .htaccess files unless you don't have
access to the main server configuration file. There is, for example, a
prevailing misconception that user authentication should always be done in
.htaccess files. This is simply not the case. You can put user
authentication configurations in the main server configuration, and this is,
in fact, the preferred way to do things."
ref: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/howto/htaccess.html

create the password file:
htpasswd -c /path/to/pass/file username
(only use -c the first time)