OT: Eagle project seeking computer donations

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Tue May 23 15:56:01 MST 2006

Am 23. May, 2006 schwätzte Alan Dayley so:

> der.hans said:
>>
>> The orphanage is in .mx?
>
> Yes.
>
>> Eagle Scouts are a 501c3? If so, they might be able to get computers from
>> AzStrut.
>>
>> Maybe also from the computer non-profit at SCC that RedSeven sponsors.
>
> The troop's sponsoring organization is a church.  I'm sure that is
> different than a 501c3 but it is definately non-profit.

Don't know how that'll affect donations.

>> OO.o2
>> the GIMP
>> Blender
>> GAIM ( if they allow instant messengers )
>> PDF Creator
>>
>> We should have a list of good Free Software for win32.
>
> Needs to all be in spanish.  I know OO.o2 can do that but I don't know
> about the others.

I thought they were. They certain work mostly in German :).

http://www.gimp.org/docs/

No Spanish :(.

Maybe that's another project for the Eagle Scouts, translate the software
:). If the kids at the orphanage are old enough they could also work on
submitting translations.

Boot Knoppix or Ubuntu LiveCD in Spanish and see what you get.

> Interesting note about languages: I went to research how to make Windows
> run in multiple languages.  (Please correct me if you see my understanding
> is wrong.)  This is according to
> http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/DrIntl/faqs/MUIFaq.mspx
>
> - First, to use another language on Windows 2000 or newer, you must aquire
> the Multilingual User Interface (MUI) software.  That means spending
> money.
> - The MUI is only available through the volume license program.  ie. Big
> businesses.
> - The MUI will not install on Windows XP Home, only WinXP Professional.
>
> So, we will have much difficulty taking donated computers with WinXP Home
> and getting them to work in spanish.  The alternative to all the above is

I disagree. debian and Ubuntu will install in Spanish :).

> to go buy the localized spanish version of WinXP, one for each computer.
>
> The bottom line appears to be that you cannot convert the licensed
> software from one language to another with giving money to MS.  Great.  It
> is probably true that talking to the right people at MS could end up with
> donated solutions but the troop only has a few weeks now.  Don't know if
> there is time to set that up.
>
> This project's leaders did not know the above and are now very
> discouraged.  I'll have to show the Ubuntu!

As you know, I'm a fan of debian and Ubuntu. Maybe check into extramaduro
Linux, though. I'm probably spelling that wrong, but it's a GNU/Linux
distro from one of the states in Spain, so it should have excellent spanish
support.

I don't know if computer Spanish in .es is different than in .mx.

ciao,

der.hans
#  Join the League of Professional System Administrators! https://LOPSA.org/
#  "We should not be building surveillance technology into standards.
#  Law enforcement was not supposed to be easy.
#  Where it is easy, it's called a police state."  -- Jeff Schiller