compiling gpl code for win32 from linux

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Mon May 22 22:41:22 MST 2006

Technomage said:
> ok, I have a friend or 2 that needs some utils (sound apps) compiled to
> work
> under win32 (win2k+/XP) and these utilities are only available as source
> packages (one in particular is called ReZound).
>
> can anyone give any tips/tricks or pointers on doing this...

Bottom line: IF possible, this is probably VERY difficult to do.

The source or files with it or the web page it was downloaded from should
specify dependencies and build tools somewhere.

However, if these are sound application you probably have to link against
win32 libraries and DLLs.  I have no idea if that can be done under Linux
but I'd be surprised if it's easy to do.

The rezound page states: "...primarily for but not limited to the Linux
operating system." but there is no information I can see that talks about
win32.  The online source repository has nothing that indicates win32
support.

I think your friend needs to use Linux OR find other apps to do the
functions he needs on win32.

Background tidbit: Porting a text only, command-line application from
Linux to something else, or the other direction, CAN BE pretty straight
forward.  But, any other type of application gets very messy very fast.
Why is OpenOffice.org so huge?  Because they build for multiple OS
platforms and have to solve this very problem.  If it is not planned for
and worked on from the beginning, it is hard to do after the fact.