vmware

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Sat May 20 09:18:05 MST 2006

I had not seen the ulimit command before so was checking it out before
trying it and was surprised by the lack of information from the usual
sources (man, info, --help option, which ulimit, locate ulimit, etc).  I
finally got the info from man bash.  This is a builtin command to bash and
presumeably to derivative and most ancestral shells of bash.  Oh and I
learned that ulimit -a reports on all the limits it knows about.

During this I also learned that my system apparently does not contain
certain other shells that are commonly used.  I know I can easily add them
but find it curious.  Especially after I discovered /etc/shells which is
supposedly a list of "valid" login shells and that it lists shells which are
not on my system.

1-I am curious if anyone knows or if there is any simple way to find out
what shells incorporate ulimit or which do not.

2-What really is the utility of /etc/shells?  If one creates a new
[derivative] shell, do you need to add it to the list somehow before it can
be a login shell or perhaps the intent is to prevent said shell from being a
login shell unless until ... something?

On 5/19/06, Victor Odhner <vodhner at cox.net> wrote:

> Nathan England wrote:
>
> >That is a great idea, but this addresses nothing about size
> >limits. I still have yet to successfully copy anything over
> >2GB using dd. It always dies giving me a file size error.
> >I'll try again, maybe dd has been updated?
> >

> Your "file size error" may be a ulimit problem.  Try a ulimit -f
> command and see if your filesize limit is set to 2 GB.  If so, set it
> bigger . . .
>
> Vic

  - James M. Barrie