386 vs 686 kernels

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Thu May 18 12:04:34 MST 2006

On 5/18/06, Wagner, Steven G <digital9ja at cox.net> wrote:

> >Stephen: Heh, I am having quite a time learning the "easier" distros.
> >I thought about Gentoo but suspect I am not ready for that learning
> >curve.  A weekend?  HAH - for me it would more likely be months at
> >least.  Maybe one day though I would have the confidence to try it on
> >a spare machine.  Right now I could not spare the time.
>
> I like Gentoo for a lot of reasons; security, customization, power, etc.
> But
> the thing that still impresses me the most is portage, the ports-based
> package manager. Gotta give it up to the BSD-people, I love portage!
>
> What does Ubuntu use? Iirc, it's Debian-based so I would suppose it uses
> apt-get. Does Ubuntu add a lot of features to Debian or just ease the
> installation somewhat? I had tried Ubuntu once, but couldn't understand
> what
> all the buzz was about (google, etc.) I had thought I would rather just
> install Debian; am I missing some great features that Ubuntu has over
> Debian?
>
> I'm still wondering why Ubuntu? The live cd didn't strike me as very
> useful,
> I would hope the full install comes with many more applications/features.
> I'm not knocking Ubuntu, I assume I just may have missed something
> interesting about it. Since the live cd didn't configure the touchpad on
> my
> laptop I wasn't impressed with the hardware support. Struck me that
> Kanotix/Knoppix were more useful Debian-derived live cds.
>
> I've found opensuse 10.1 to be very nice; lots of features and services,
> great installer, and very stable (though kind of slow to boot.) Not sure
> if
> they have a live cd out yet, but I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a
> nice
> balance of easy installation to robustness. In the last release I had to
> add
> third-party repository servers to get the apps I wanted, but with this
> 10.1
> release I've so far found everything I wanted without having to do that.
> Also, in this release the hibernate feature works whereas the previous
> version hung when I tried to wake from sleep.
>
> Have a good one,

I'm sure others can give more complete answers than I, but ... here goes a
bit of an answer.

Ubuntu doesn't really add anything in terms of features that I am aware of.
What it does add is some friendliness (nothing to the linux geeks),
stability and a regular release schedule.  It is definitely not bleeding
edge but is intended to help expand the use of Linux by new users.  Many
have tried that but this one is catching on.  But as far as someone like you
I would guess it has little to offer unless you are helping/supporting some
users new to Linux.

OTOH, I believe the release after next is expected to expand into new areas
for Ubuntu (more focus on server and development arenas I think).  Anyway,
let the comments begin as I have probably oversimplified the whole thing. :)

  - James M. Barrie