hyper threading and memory usage

Micah DesJardins micahdj at gmail.com
Wed May 17 09:14:37 MST 2006

As I understand it, there's some slight issues with the way
hyperthreading CPUs deal with sharing L1 and L2 cache between the
'independent CPU' threads.  In theory, in a properly optimized SMP
aware program the benefit of avoiding pipeline stalls through
hyperthreading far outweighs any performance loss from having to take
a few more frequent L2 cache hits.  In practice, if you're dealing
with non-threaded or non-SMP apps you may notice a performance hit.  I
know this is something they were working on but I have no idea where
they are at with it currently.

The idea behind Hyperthreading, is to help eliminate pipeline stalls
in the first place.  Personally, I prefer AMD's approach
(Hypertransport) which is to speed up the memory bus to reduce stalls
by making the front side bus 'a lot faster' to access all available
memory.  Both technologies have their merits and to each their own and
all that jazz.

A couple of links:

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39237341,00.htm

http://softwareforums.intel.com/ids/board/message?board.id=42&message.id=621