20 questions about Windows Vista

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Mon May 15 23:08:01 MST 2006

Am 15. May, 2006 schwätzte Craig White so:

> Normally, I wouldn't post up about Windows but I thought that this might
> interest some...
>
> http://informationweek.com/
>
> See the link to 20 questions about Windows Vista (I didn't link it
> directly since it attaches a session_id). This was the thing that I
> found interesting...
>
> 20. Can a dual-boot PC be set up for Linux and Vista?
>
> At the moment, it appears that it will be exceedingly difficult, or even
> impossible, to set up a dual-boot PC with both Linux and Vista on it.
> That's because of Vista's new hardware-based encryption feature called
> BitLocker Drive Encryption, which functions as a kind of data repository
> that protects data in case a PC is stolen or lost.

Is it per drive or per box? In other words could GNU/Linux just reside on
another hard drive?

Also, this seems to just be yet another way for m$ to make it hard to
upgrade...

ciao,

der.hans

> BitLocker Drive Encryption makes it difficult or impossible to exchange
> the data required by a dual-boot system, says security guru Bruce
> Schneir. "You could look at BitLocker as anti-Linux because it
> frustrates dual-boot," he said at a panel at the Infosec conference in
> London.
>
> However, not all versions of Vista use BitLocker. At the moment, it's
> unclear if those other versions will be able to dual-boot between Linux
> and Vista.
>
> Craig

#  Join the League of Professional System Administrators! https://LOPSA.org/
#  If it's not a toy you're looking at it wrong. -- der.hans