Hiring Computer Techs.

Jason jason at spatafore.net
Mon May 15 22:00:11 MST 2006

 >>  You might try self-teaching.

 >>  My HS offered an A+ prep course for credit back in '99.  I took it, passed
 >>
 >>  the class, and decided "Do I really need to spend $125 on an exam to prove
 >>  I'm
 >>  as competent as the instructor who popped the tube on a toaster Mac on day
 >>  1 of
 >>  the class?"

Yes, you do. These days, companies are looking at A+ as BARE MINIMUM requirement. They are heading towards more certifications. For example, I don't believe google will even look at you if you don't have anything in the Linux department. MS wouldn't look at people without an MCSE minimum. Cisco won't want people who don't have a CCNA....etc. The horrifying reality in our world today is that certs are actually starting to carry some weight. Sure, we all know many things...but do we have a way to prove that when facing 200 other people who know many things?

HR wants certifications, if not degrees. It's the way the IT world is heading. (Especially since HR has no freaking clue about IT....so, their "bail out" is certifications.)

Don't get me wrong...I don't like certifications because I don't believe I should pay a company to tell others that I know how to use their products. But that is a political stance for me. :) I believe all certs should be free for people.

OH YEA, Brainbench is having their annual Bench Wars! This means that their certs are free for the taking right now. You can always grab a couple of those. Yea, they don't say as much as a true A+ or Network+ certification, but they are a certification nonetheless. They add *some* merit to your resume. (And it's better than a blank space.)

Anyway....hope to see a few of ya make it!

Sincerely,

Jason Spatafore