Storage

Micah DesJardins micahdj at gmail.com
Fri May 12 14:00:01 MST 2006

I would definitely second that.

This is a highly valuable post.  The one important thing that I would
add (and I know some people would consider this *debatable*) is that
SATA is generally considered THE solution for Secondary or 'Tier 2'
storage solutions.  It's fast, cheap, and good enough.. meaning it
rarely fails.  SAS is generally reserved for "mission-critical"
solutions.  When it absolutely, positively has to work, work fast, and
work like a dog all day and night and you just don't care how much it
costs.

SAS offers a few things over SATA (as I understand it) such as a full
duplex architecture, support for multimple initiators (multiple
controllers with access to the same devices), wide and dual porting
options all of which figure into dynamic load balancing solutions for
storage.