ext 3 and data drs

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Sun May 7 17:03:31 MST 2006

On Sun, May 07, 2006 at 04:20:08PM -0700, Alex Dean wrote:
> On May 7, 2006, at 3:44 PM, betty wrote:
>
> >also, i have s.m.a.r.t. turned off, should i have it 'one'????
>
> When the hard drive on my Powerbook failed, the SMART diagnostics
> warned me before the disk became unusable.  I made sure I had full
> backups, and then replaced the drive.  Pretty darn painless, really.
> I'm not sure if there are any special caveats for SMART and Linux,
> but I was happy to have them turned on in that case.

That was my single experience, too. At the time I didn't know what SMART
was, and went Googling around and asking questions. The answers I got
(from Linux people) were to keep SMART enabled, and if it gave errors to
back up the drive *NOW* and replace it *NOW*. It's very nice to have
enough warning to make a current backup before the drive quits forever.

dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |