Small Linux boxes?

Kevin plug-discuss at firstpacket.com
Thu May 4 12:40:43 MST 2006

On 5/4/06 11:05 AM, "Darrin Chandler" <dwchandler at stilyagin.com> wrote:
> Maybe something from http://www.soekris.com/ would work for this...

Yes, I was looking at that.  I think I would need the fastest board they
currently ship to handle Squid and even then, I'm not sure if it would keep
up.  There is a note on their website about faster boards coming soon (up to
500Mhz) but they were due "sometime in 2005".  I'll have to check with them
to see if those are nearing completion yet.  Anyway, looks like I could try
this one for now:

P/N: 10480161 "net4801-60 Board and Case" $290

It has a 266 Mhz NSC SC1100 processor with three 10/100 Mbit ethernet ports,
256MB RAM, CompactFlash socket, UltraDMA-33 interface with 44 pins connector
for 2.5" Hard Drive and even has PCI expansion capability.

To that, I would need to add a big CF card (1GB?) to act as a disk drive and
that should be about it, right?  Still a bit more than I was looking to
spend.

Of course, then the fun starts with figuring out Linux on a CF card again (I
have forgotten all that).  Since CF cards have a write-limit, maybe a small
laptop hard drive would be better for the constant Squid caching.

Thoughts?

...Kevin