Burning CDs under Linux

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Thu May 4 11:08:09 MST 2006

On Thu, 4 May 2006, Prescott Oelke wrote:

> This might be an insanely stupid question, but is it possible to burn
> data CDs or DVDs under Linux that use something other than the normal
> filesystems for that media? I'm thinking specifically here of Mac CDs
> and how they seem to be readable by Macs but Windows will not
> recognize them.

Have a look at mkisofs(8) from the cdrtools suite. mkisofs has these

       -hfs Create an ISO9660/HFS hybrid CD. This option should be used in
conjunction with the -map, -magic and/or the various double dash options
given below.

   -apple Create an ISO9660 CD with Apple's extensions.  Similar to the
-hfs option, except that the Apple Extensions to ISO9660 are added instead
of creating an HFS hybrid volume.

In particular, read about the "HFS MACINTOSH FILE FORMATS" and the other
"HFS" sections in the mkisofs manual page.

 Jeremy C. Reed

echo ':6DB6=88>?;@69876tA=AC8BB5tA6487><' | tr '4-F' 'wu rofIn.lkigemca'