Virtual Networking

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Thu May 4 08:58:29 MST 2006

On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 10:49:40AM -0500, Michael Vanecek wrote:
> all over again. :) Currently, the internal network is 192.168.192.* - I
> was thinking of setting the second one to 192.168.193.* - is that enough
> to isolate the two networks and still give access to the gateway which
> is 192.168.192.2? Not sure if I need to alter the subnet mask tho for
> the virtual network - it's currently the standard 255.255.255.0 for the
> internal network and if I alter it, I'm afraid I'll disable access to
> the gateway - tho I'm far from a network expert. Thanks for letting me

192.168.192.* subnet mask 255.255.255.0
192.168.193.* subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Yes, that should work fine. The thing you want to make sure about is
that your default route goes through your existing 192.168.192.0
network's gateway. If it doesn't, you'll be able to ping machines on
either network but it won't know how to get out to the internet.

dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |