Linux on laptops

stu wien33 at cox.net
Wed May 3 15:03:42 MST 2006

	That's a good question, and I have several answers for it...
	1. I have an old Compaq 5304 I "upgraded" to a K6-2 400Mhz/96M ram/10G hdd.
The whole system set me back about $20. Under Windows98, this system has
640x480 graphics, no LAN, no Modem, no Sound because the old drivers are no
longer supported by Microsoft nor Compaq/HP. Under the newest release of DSL,
however, the old box is fully functional and surprisingly quick (this is the
same box I installed Debian/Xfce4 which runs just as well). I feel it would
be dishonest to sell a system with an unsupported OS no matter how low the
price.
	2. Windows comes "free" even on old hardware, and that's great, but what
about other apps? I know a college student with a brand new e-machine
"rental" (...shudder...) running XP home, who was typing up her homework in
Wordpad because she can't afford MS Office (until I gave her Open Office),
and another who needed PowerPoint (she runs Impress now). There are thousands
of Open Source apps available for Linux at no cost, and even "Oogie" (my
aforementioned K6-2 box) will happily run most of them. All this for FREE,
and NO "CLIPPY" to screw it all up for you!
	3. Some folks just like to roll their own. I hand roll my own cigarettes,
listen exclusively to Indie Music, touch-type on a Dvorak keyboard (6 months
of Mavis Beacon on MS at work, and I still can't do QWERTY), and run Linux on
all my computers at home. I'm too old and stubborn to play "Mother May I"
with Bill Gates & Co., and it bothers me to see others caught in his software
web.
	4. Speaking of Dvorak, any Linux user can set it up with a few clicks in
their profile. With MS, it takes an IT Department, and they refuse to do it
for me at work. Better I should struggle along with "Mavis" then for them to
reconfigure the OS on my computer.
	I could go on, but that's enough for now. Suffice to say I don't intend to
flood the market with Linux Laptops. I just want to be able to offer an
inexpensive (under $200) alternative to those who are really interested in
it. These are the people who have the potential to become die-hard converts
to Gnu/Linux and Open Source in general.
	That, and of course there's the simple fact that I enjoy doing it!

	Stu