Linux on laptops

Gilbert T. Gutierrez, Jr. plug at phxinternet.net
Wed May 3 11:28:37 MST 2006

Stu,

I tried Ubuntu and did not really like it on one of my notebooks.  It worked
fine but seemed a little slow.  Additionally it took me a while to get my
wireless adapter to work with it being unfamiliar with debian package
management and what I consider poor tools in general available for wireless
adapter configuration.

I have enjoyed using OpenSuse 10.0 the most on work stations and notebooks.
I had not touched Suse for 10 years when I hated it.  I had no problem
installing it and YaST has sure come a long way (very nice tool).  It seems
to run quicker that Ubuntu, was not quiet as simplified as Ubuntu, but sure
had a short learning curve.  I use YaST to configure wireless with Suse
which works ok, but still think the wireless adapter configuration tools are
poor!

In general I use RHEL and its clones on my servers (no X) and am happy with
them but do not like RedHat products on desktops, workstations, or
notebooks.  Fedora has a short life span and many bugs that I always hear
about.  Enterprise Linux is not polished enough with its desktop interface.

My 2 cents...
Gilbert

---
[ This E-mail was scanned for viruses by Phoenix Internet ]
[ Phoenix Internet http://www.phoenixinternet.net ]