Linux on laptops

stu wien33 at cox.net
Tue May 2 13:57:23 MST 2006

Hi guys,
	My son who lives in Omaha wants a laptop with linux installed. I considered
getting him a Compaq from Fry's, but paying the Microsoft tax leaves a bad
taste in my mouth - especially after seeing how they sabotage Linspire sales
by hooking up a cheesy non-VGA monochrome monitor to the only linux box they
DO sell, rendering it absolutely useless as a demo unit.
	I looked online, but most Linux laptops are high-end units priced well out of
my son's budget (and mine, for that matter).
	I found a decent laptop on e-bay, and as soon as I get it, I'm going to load
a linux distro on it and ship it out to him, which gave me an idea for a
hobby of sorts. I've worked on a few laptops, and they are deceptively easy
to fix. I've also been running Linux on my own laptop for a few years now.
I'm thinking about refurbing a few at a time and re-selling them as
inexpensively as possible in an effort to help promote linux as a desktop OS
for people who want a preconfigured linux laptop computer, but can't shell
out $1500+ for one.
	I'm hoping some of you might have some ideas about to facilitate this
project. Any input would be appreciated.

	Stu