IBM blade center HS20 server) with Redhat Enterprise Linux 4

Eric "Shubes" plug at shubes.net
Fri Mar 31 19:52:43 MST 2006

Craig White wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-03-31 at 16:01 -0700, Dan Lund wrote:
>> Has anyone ever ran an IBM blade server (HS20 model) with Redhat
>> Enterprise Linux 4 or CentOS 4.2?
>>
>> I've been tasked with getting RHEL4 on our new blade server, and it
>> doesn't want to cooperate.  I've already installed Gentoo on it, so I
>> know it works with Linux.
>> The problem I'm having is during the hardware probing, it blacks the
>> screen.  I'm using the remote control java console which works really
>> nicely.
>> I've used the following commands:
>> linux
>> linux text
>> linux text noprobe  (this one actually got the console but the
>> keyboard was not functional)
>>
>> I have a sneaky suspicion that since the cdrom is USB, the probing is
>> reinitializing the cdrom subsystem.  I know Gentoo has a feature
>> during boot where you send the parameter "bladecenter" or something
>> like that at boot and it slows down the USB transfer a little due to a
>> slow cdrom. (or something along those lines)
>>
>> Anyway, I'd appreciate any experiences anyone has had with this
>> hardware.  Worst case, I'll install RHEL4 through Gentoo by throwing a
>> tarball down, but I'd really rather have a clean install straight from
>> CD.
> ----
> I've never fooled with a blade system (not that I wouldn't love to try)
> but I am quite certain that the methodology would be to do a kickstart
> install and probably have an nfs server hosting the install images as
> that would make sense because we aren't really talking about 1 install
> on a blade system, but a series of installs.
>
> there is a redhat mail list for RHEL 4 nahant-list
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/nahant-list
>
> CentOS 4 Documentation
> http://www.centos.org/docs/4/
>
> where you're likely to get better help
>
> additional boot options...
> http://www.centos.org/docs/4/html/rhel-ig-x8664-multi-en-4/ap-bootopts.html
>
> (you might be able to use a vnc server)
>
> Craig

C'mon, Craig. How you gonna create a kickstart file if you can't do an
install to begin with? ;)

Well, I suppose it might be possible (from scratch, though?). Using a
kickstart file is a good idea, really. The key, though, is being able to
boot from a device you have. What if the HW in question doesn't have a
floppy?

In any case, I think that a network install is probably in order,
possibly with a network boot (to boot!).

P.S. Whatever happened to Dennis's (I think) idea of a distro-silo
(server) for network installs at the InstallFest?
--
-Eric 'shubes'