IBM blade center HS20 server) with Redhat Enterprise Linux 4

Dan Lund situationalawareness at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 16:01:37 MST 2006

Has anyone ever ran an IBM blade server (HS20 model) with Redhat
Enterprise Linux 4 or CentOS 4.2?

I've been tasked with getting RHEL4 on our new blade server, and it
doesn't want to cooperate.  I've already installed Gentoo on it, so I
know it works with Linux.
The problem I'm having is during the hardware probing, it blacks the
screen.  I'm using the remote control java console which works really
nicely.
I've used the following commands:
linux
linux text
linux text noprobe  (this one actually got the console but the
keyboard was not functional)

I have a sneaky suspicion that since the cdrom is USB, the probing is
reinitializing the cdrom subsystem.  I know Gentoo has a feature
during boot where you send the parameter "bladecenter" or something
like that at boot and it slows down the USB transfer a little due to a
slow cdrom. (or something along those lines)

Anyway, I'd appreciate any experiences anyone has had with this
hardware.  Worst case, I'll install RHEL4 through Gentoo by throwing a
tarball down, but I'd really rather have a clean install straight from
CD.

--Dan Lund

--
"There are no wise few. Every aristocracy that has ever existed has
behaved, in all essential points, exactly like a small mob."