Kudzu seg fault

Eric "Shubes" plug at shubes.net
Fri Mar 31 08:30:19 MST 2006

Eric "Shubes" wrote:
> Edward Norton wrote:
>> On 3/30/06, *Eric Shubes* <plug at shubes.net <mailto:plug at shubes.net>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>     Anyone else getting a segmentation fault with kudzu on FC5?
>>     I've googled a bit and haven't found a definitive answer.
>>     I've removed kudzu (and dependents) and reinstalled, still no go.
>>     kernel-2.6.16-1.2080_FC5
>>     kudzu-1.2.34.3-1
>>     Ideas?
>>     --
>>     -Eric 'shubes'
>>

>> gdb -q /path/to/kudzu
>> in gdb:
>> run
>> backtrace
>> quit
>>
>> reply with results.
>>

> [root at helen ~]# gdb -q /sbin/kudzu
> (no debugging symbols found)
> Using host libthread_db library "/lib/libthread_db.so.1".
> (gdb) run
> Starting program: /sbin/kudzu
> Reading symbols from shared object read from target memory...(no
> debugging symbols found)...done.
> Loaded system supplied DSO at 0x144000
> (no debugging symbols found)
> (no debugging symbols found)

> 0x00a3bd63 in strdup () from /lib/libc.so.6
> (gdb) backtrace
> #0  0x00a3bd63 in strdup () from /lib/libc.so.6
> #1  0x0805db7b in xenNewDevice ()
> #2  0x0805acf5 in ddcNewDevice ()
> #3  0x080509df in newDevice ()
> #4  0x0804d5a6 in ?? ()
> #5  0x009e77e4 in __libc_start_main () from /lib/libc.so.6
> #6  0x0804a8e1 in ?? ()
> (gdb) quit
> The program is running.  Exit anyway? (y or n) y
> [root at helen ~]#

That doesn't say too much, so I installed kudzu-debuginfo and tried again:

[root at helen ~]# gdb /sbin/kudzu
GNU gdb Red Hat Linux (6.3.0.0-1.122rh)
conditions.
This GDB was configured as "i386-redhat-linux-gnu"...Using host
libthread_db library "/lib/libthread_db.so.1".

(gdb) run
Starting program: /sbin/kudzu
Reading symbols from shared object read from target memory...done.

#0  0x00a3bd63 in strdup () from /lib/libc.so.6
#1  0x0805db7b in vbe_get_vbe_info () at vbe.c:198
#2  0x0805acf5 in ddcProbe (probeClass=Variable "probeClass" is not
available.
) at ddc.c:395
#3  0x080509df in probeDevices (probeClass=CLASS_UNSPEC, probeBus=-9,
     probeFlags=1) at kudzu.c:806
#4  0x0804d5a6 in main (argc=Cannot access memory at address 0xffffffff
) at hwconf.c:938
#5  0x009e77e4 in __libc_start_main () from /lib/libc.so.6
#6  0x0804a8e1 in _start ()
(gdb) quit
The program is running.  Exit anyway? (y or n) y
You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/root
[root at helen ~]#

That's better, but it's still a bit g(r)eek to me. :)

--
-Eric 'shubes'