IPCop vs Smoothwall

George Toft george at georgetoft.com
Thu Mar 30 21:13:59 MST 2006

Let me be the lone voice in support of smoothwall...

I like Smoothwall for the following reasons:
- Point and click web-based interface
- Plug in modules to add additional functionality
- It is supported by Fujitsu and USRobotics (well, kinda)
- Squid does transparent proxying so it can't be bypassed
- "It just works"

I don't like Smoothwall for the following reasons:
- The OS is just plain weird.  Yes, it is Linux, but it does not look
like Debian, Slack nor any RH/Fedora derivitave.  I may be mistaken, but
it is different.
- Running SmoothWall takes a beefier box than I expected.  I am having
problems making it run reliably on a 486DX2 with 40 MB RAM :)  It runs
really well on 1.7GHz/256MB RAM.

Regards,

George Toft, CISSP, MSIS
My IT Department
www.myITaz.com
480-544-1067

In business, there are always problems.  It's how they are handled
that makes a difference.  Are you happy with your IT Manager?