IPCop vs Smoothwall

Alex Dean alex at crackpot.org
Thu Mar 30 12:06:23 MST 2006

On Mar 30, 2006, at 11:42 AM, Jim wrote:

> I am going to set up a P5-233 with 64M as a firewall between my DSL
> modem and internal network.  I would liked opinions, pro and con,
> about
> using IPCop and Smoothwall as the OS.

I'm using IPCop at home on a PII with 256MB.  I haven't use Smoothwall.

IPCop is a champ.  Farily easy to configure, well documented, and
there are lots of free addon packages for doing things like mail or
web content filtering.  The ipcop-users mailing list is also
generally responsive to questions.  (Not as friendly as PLUG, though.)

alex

ps - I haven't yet found an addon package that will support Snort
(intrusion detection) logging to MySQL.  All you get by default is
logging to a text file, which you can read via IPCop's web
interface.  Not very useful, as you basically have to troll through
pages and pages of log entries looking for possible problems.  I've
turned Snort off until I find a more effective way to analyze its
logs.  That's maybe a little off topic, but it's the only thing I've
yet wanted from IPCop that hasn't been easy to add.
.