samba problem

Eric "Shubes" plug at shubes.net
Wed Mar 29 12:13:45 MST 2006

Nathan England wrote:
> I have a folder called /files
> everyone has access to this folder, but there are a few folders inside that
> only a few people are allowed to access. What is the best way to allow
> everyone access to the /files directory but only allow those required to have
> access to the specific folders inside?
>
> Do I create a seperate share for each specific folder?
> I want to avoid mapping more drives to the users. Can I change the access
> permissions on the windows machines? I don't want to make it too confusing.
> What is the best way?

I'm not sure of the best way.
I think I would create a new group for the 'few people', and make them
members of the group. Then change the groupid of the restricted folders
to the new group, and turn off 'other' permissisions on said folders.
Then you can give the share for /files to everyone.
I'm pretty sure that'll work for you, but I'd test it to be sure.
--
-Eric 'shubes'