hda2 error -> problem with fstab

bmike101 at cox.net bmike101 at cox.net
Mon Mar 27 22:30:33 MST 2006

So are you saying that it should look like this:

/dev/hda1 / ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
#/dev/hda2 / ext3 defaults,noatime 1 1
/dev/hda4 /home ext3 defaults,noatime 1 1
/dev/sda1 swap swap sw,pri=1 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0622 0 0
none /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0
# Dynamic entries
/dev/hda3 /data ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0

But what about the fact that these partitons were not
previously named this? Would this make a difference?

What about the 'Dynamic entries'? Does that mean/do
anything?

 Why is it behaving like this now and not before?

<plug-discuss at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>
> Subject: Re: hda2 error
>
> On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 18:08:32 -0800
> <bmike101 at cox.net> wrote:
>
> > I figured something out! When I was asked for my fstab
> > gave you all the fstab of the live cd. The fstab of
the hd
> > was:
> > /dev/hda2 / ext3 defaults,noatime 1 1
> > /dev/hda4 /mnt/hda4 ext3 defaults,noatime 1 1
> > /dev/sda1 swap swap sw,pri=1 0 0
> > proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
> > devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0622 0 0
> > none /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0
> > # Dynamic entries
> > /dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
> > /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
> >
> > I changed it to
> > /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
> > #/dev/hda2 / ext3 defaults,noatime 1 1
> > /dev/hda4 /mnt/hda4 ext3 defaults,noatime 1 1
> > /dev/sda1 swap swap sw,pri=1 0 0
> > proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
> > devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0622 0 0
> > none /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0
> > # Dynamic entries
> > /dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
> >
> > When I changed it I had so hoped that this would fix
it
> > yet it did not!
> > What else do I need to do?
> >
> > for your information here is my setup:
> > hda1 = root
> > hda4 = home
> > hda3 = data
>

> well you are ALL screwed up. the setup you intended to
have and what

> if /dev/hda1 is root then you should have
> /dev/hda1 / (not /mnt/hda1)
>
> if /dev/hda4 is home then you should have
> /dev/hda4 /home (not /mnt/hda4)
>
> if /dev/hda3 is data then you should have
> /dev/hda3 /data or /mnt/hda3 if that is where you want
it

> where in the world did you get the above fstab from?
>
> Jerry
>

> > > From: <bmike101 at cox.net>
> > > Date: 2006/03/27 Mon PM 05:19:18 PST
> > > To: Main PLUG discussion list
> > <plug-discuss at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>
> > > Subject: hda2 error
> > >
> > > How strange; it happened again. I reninstalled the
OS
> > and,
> > > as before, it loaded once. After it loads once and I
> > > shutdown it seems to think that hda2 is back. It is
as
> > if
> > > it won't accept hda1,3,&4 without 2. Does this make
any
> > > sense? I'll reload from the hd and look at fstab (if
> > > can).
> > >

> --
> Hobbit Name: Pimpernel Loamsdown
> Registered Linux User: 275424
>
> This email's random fortune: If our behavior is strict,
we do not need
PLUG-discuss at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
> To subscribe, unsubscribe, or to change  you mail
settings: