raid 0 problems

Nathan England nathan at paysonlinux.org
Sun Mar 26 20:18:11 MST 2006

The problem with raid 0, while giving expanded filesystems over many disks is
there is no fault tolerance, so it is possible that when one of those drives
took a dump, you lost ALL of that data. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure
that is how it works.
Does the drive power up at all? Or is it completely dead?
What is the file system on it? Can you boot with a knoppix disc and try to let
it e2fsck or reiserfsck that filesystem and see if it fixes it?

On Sunday 26 March 2006 20:13, Technomage wrote:
> I need the help of a raid "expert"
>
> I have a raid 0 problem. seems that when a machine went belly up on me, it
> damages part of a raid 0 virtual fs in such a way that I can no longer
> mount the 2nd 9and smaller) half of the filesystem.
>
> the kernel panics on boot and I get all kinds of "bad magic" errors when
> attempting to do so.
>
> I have more than enough HD space to copy the images, but I need to get the
> data off this "raid 0 fs" as soon as possible.
>
> can anyone help?

Payson Computer Services
PO Box 2551
Payson, Arizona 85547
(928) 595 - 1449

http://www.paysonlinux.org/
nathan at paysonlinux.org

Business Consulting Services,
Advanced Network and Server Design,
Security Solutions,
Process Management and Efficiency Consultations