ann: PLUG-applications mailing list

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss at granroth.org
Tue Mar 21 18:06:33 MST 2006

On Mar 21, 2006, at 4:06 PM, der.hans wrote:
> PLUG announces a new mailing list for discussing Free Software
> applications.
>
> This list is for questions, answers, and discussion of Free Software
> desktop applications. Examples would be Firefox, Thunderbird,
> OpenOffice.org, The Gimp, Gnome and KDE. Any Free Software or Open
> Source software would be considered on topic, regardless of the
> platform
> (operating system) on which it runs.

Hmm... has the discussion of non-Linux based free software gotten so
heavy that it needs another list to handle the flow?  I hadn't noticed.

Personally, I am the type that prefer much fewer mailing lists and
consolidating as much as possible.  I remember the days when I was
subscribed to over 50 mailing lists (not an exaggeration) and I don't
look back at that fondly.  My rule of thumb for creating new lists
was always:

a) if there was frequent talk on subjects that didn't mesh at all
with the main topic
or
b) if there was a massive amount of talk on subjects that were
subsets of the main topic

For instance, in the beginning, there was the 'kde' mailing list.
When development started picking up, 'kde-devel' was formed.  There
was a distinct difference between application and KDE core
development, though, so eventually kde-core-devel was formed.  And
then the Konqueror (kfm at the time) development really started
crowding out other topics so kfm-devel was formed.  And so on and so
forth.

In my opinion (which isn't as humble as it likely should be), talk
about apps like Firefox, OO and the like are valid topics on this
list regardless of their platform.  So subsets they may be... but the
talk surrounding them is hardly overwhelming.

But that's me.  I've been known to have contrary opinions now and
again :-)

Kurt