Turning emacs auto-fill off.

Vaughn Treude vltreude at deru.com
Tue Mar 21 09:14:26 MST 2006

Hello everyone:

I want to set my .emacs file so that emacs always comes up with
auto-fill (that is, word wrap) OFF.  First of all, there was this
paragraph, from which I deleted the line that said turn-on-auto-fill.

;; By default we starting in text mode.
(setq initial-major-mode
      (lambda ()
        (text-mode)
        (turn-on-auto-fill)
	(font-lock-mode)
	))

That didn't work.  Apparently auto-fill is on by default for my version
of emacs, 23.3.2.

>From my limited knowledge it seems that the following statement should
do it:

(setq auto-fill-mode nil)

But it doesn't.  Most of the  web references I can find assume that I
want auto-fill on, but I don't.  Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Vaughn