At long last...

shieldx shieldx at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 20 22:54:16 MST 2006

I installed FC5 on three boxes earlier today,
two i386 machines and a 64-bit.

The first install was on the 64-bit machine with a SATA hard drive,
The BIOS recognized the drive, and the installer loaded the proper SCSI
module, but refused to recognize the drive and terminated.
I figured it was a driver incompatibility but then again, I was using
a 3 foot data cable...

Anyways, it worked with an ATA drive, but crashed halfway through the
install with an error about python, twice in a row,
I fixed that by burning another DVD, and changing something I forget
during the preinstall, not sure which was the case.

While that was finally chugging along, I finished downloading and
burning the first of the i386 5-CD set, which I started up on the first
of the i386es, this one being a dual-core ~2.4Ghz P4.
I had a little trouble booting from it's USB CD drive, but after opening
it up and re-seating various things, it worked fine.
The installation went smoothly and without error, but did take a while
as I installed most everything save the extra locales and telnet.

As the first CD was changed out, I started the install on the other i386
box, which wasn't a dual-core, but ended up the same way without
incident, although it did not detect it's LCD quite right initially,
the colors were brown-ish, but were fixed by lowering the resolution
slightly.

The two most significant changes I've noticed is that the firewall setup
GUI is cleaner and will not effectively disable the firewall if someone
accidentally "trusts" the ethernet, and also that they have dropped
GKrellM from the install, Phooey.

And now I am burned out.