DI-624 wireless and Mandriva

Eric "Shubes" plug at shubes.net
Sat Mar 18 15:02:07 MST 2006

Jason Hayes wrote:

> Has anyone out there had any luck setting up a D-Link wireless router with
> their Linux systems?
>
> While on a recent trip I was forced to get my ndiswrapper-based wireless up
> and running on my laptop as the hotel I was in only used T-Mobile wireless
> for their high speed Internet access. (this reference was very usefull for
> those who are fighting a similar battle -
> http://www.linuxfordummies.org/index.php?topic=96.msg121).
>
> After working through the steps outlined in that entry, I had the wireless
> working with no problems for three days. However, now that I am home, I am
> having no luck getting a connection on my home network.
>
> I know that my wireless is working still, as I can see my network and several
> others in the area around me when I do a "iwlist scanning" (see below).
> However, each of those networks' quality is "0/100".
>
> When I boot into my Windows XP partition though, I can connect to my wireless
> network without any difficulty and I can access the Internet with no apparent
> quality problems.
>
> I have tried using various settings - no security, WEP 64 bit, WEP 128 bit,
> WPA, WPA2, WPA2-Auto, different ciphers, etc. etc. etc. I have enabled and
> disabled superG features, and I have typed and retyped my encryption key -
> all to no avail.
>
> Since I could connect to the hotel's 802.11g wireless network in both Linux
> and Windows, my Windows partition can connect to my home network, my Linux
> partition can see my home network, and I have confirmed all of the other
> settings, I am beginning to wonder if there is an issue with Linux (or
> Mandriva) and D-Link routers.
>
> Has anyone out there had any problems working with these before? Any other
> suggestions would also be welcomed.
>
> Thanks

Sounds to me like your settings aren't quite matching up between the
router and your card. I'd check to see what settings XP is connecting
with, then make sure you're using the same settings on the Linux side.
Also, check the settings on your router to see what they are (essid,
security).

Since you're using ndiswrapper, you should be using the same driver on
both systems, so if it works on one, it should be able to work on the
other. Also, be sure that your card's settings are being set through
ndiswrapper. I've only used native drivers, so I don't know exactly how
that works, but it may be that settings appear to be one thing, when in
reality they're not getting through ndiswrapper to the driver. Again, I
don't know exactly how that works with ndiswrapper.

HTH.

--
-Eric 'shubes'