How to set up: enter email address to download a pdf file

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Mar 18 12:12:58 MST 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-18 at 13:57 -0500, joe wrote:
> Can anyone tell me a simple way to set up a routine on my website
> so people can download a pdf file simply by entering their email
> address and have the submitted email addresses saved on the web
> hosting system?
----
generally not a great idea to have apache capable of writing files
anywhere except to maybe a non-executable temp file system which is
probably not what you want to accomplish.

It might be easier to have a form that someone fills out that sends an
email or creates a row in a database prior to downloading the file but
the methodology would depend greatly on the type of code that the side
is using (i.e. perl/cgi, rubyonrails, php or static html) and what the
hosting server is permitting you to do. Might be a good thing to ask
your hosting server.

Craig