RHEL/KDE Second Desktop?

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Wed Mar 15 21:08:24 MST 2006

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006, Victor Odhner wrote:

> On KDE under CentOS (RHEL clone) I can bring up
> a second desktop with "startx -- :1 vt8", but that takes
> me directly into a session for the initiating user such as
> myself or root.  How would I start it so that it would
> produce a login screen?

You could pass the "-query localhost" option to your X server, but I don't
know if that is still supported.

Or use a display manager (like xdm or kdm) instead of startx.

For example, on my system my xdm configuration is at
/usr/pkg/etc/xorg/xdm/xdm-config. It defines many settings including:
DisplayManager.servers:         /usr/pkg/etc/xorg/xdm/Xservers

This /usr/pkg/etc/xorg/xdm/Xservers file could contain addition servers to
start up (on :1) for example.

:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X
:1 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt8

The man page for xdm has some details. Or let us know if you want to use
kdm instead.

Feel free to ask more questions about this ...

 Jeremy C. Reed

echo '9,J8HD,fDGG8B@?:536FC5=8 at I;C5?@H5B0D at 5GBIELD54DL>@8L?:5GDEJ8LDG1' |\
sed ss,s50EBsg | tr 0-M 'p.wBt SgiIlxmLhan:o,erDsduv/cyP'