svn ignore

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Mar 11 22:48:19 MST 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-11 at 19:45 -0700, Jerry Davis wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-03-11 at 18:08 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 22:48 -0700, Jerry Davis wrote:
> > > On Thursday 09 March 2006 10:31 pm, Craig White wrote:
> > > <snip>
> > >
> > > lets say you have a directory you want import
> > > call it importdir
> > >
> > > make sure that you have
> > > importdir/trunk/....
> > > importdir/tags
> > > importdir/branches
> > >

> > > 1. mkdir svn-repository
> > > 2. cd importdir
> > > 3. import
> > > 4. mkdir of ~/svnwork (for example)
> > > 5. cd ~/svnwork
> > > 6. checkout the trunk

> > > no.
> > >
> > > on server do a update (you've already done a checkout once)
> > >
> > ----
> > got it - and it's up and running now, small hurdles but it's all good.
> >
> > Had to figure out how to copy/svn delete/svn:ignore copy back into place
> > files/directories that I can't have versioning.
> >
> > I am gathering that a cool thing to do is to keep a list of files that
> > you want to ignore, set it with svn:ignore -F option and that list can
> > be operate at all checkouts (ruby on rails has a few files/folders that
> > are specific to the individual setup and versioning is dangerous or
> > simply counter productive)
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > craig
>
> good.
>
> by the way, the reason for the
> tags/
> trunk/ (where all your code is)
> branches/
>
> directories, is that you should tag after every major build. what you
> want to call the tag is up to you.
>
> also, when you get to 1.0, you should put 1.0 on a branch.
> the trunk will always be your "continuing" development "branch"
> when you make a change to 1.0 branch, you would have to make that same
> code changes to the trunk as well.
>
> to switch between 1.0 branch and current development you would use the
> switch command. it works great.
----
a really great person on ruby on rails list created a blog for using svn
with ruby on rails - possibly prompted by my question and possibly
because of some of the issues common to ruby on rails structures and
interfacing when using svn...I don't know but he posted his blog here...

http://blog.teksol.info/articles/2006/03/09/subversion-primer-for-rails-projects

and it was just what I needed (so I cheated)...I used it and it
clarified a lot of things for me.

The quick run through on svnbook didn't cover trunk/tags/branches and it
would have taken me some time to find out about them...and in fact, you
have given me some more clues about branches.

I am indeed functional at this point...probably at a minimal level but I
am able to checkout, commit, update, ignore, revert, delete. That seems
to be the minimal set of tools I need at this point and I will expand
from there.

In that ruby on rails has a development mode and a production mode which
use different db's and the production mode 'locks' the controller and
model code into place until restart, I was able to make changes that
they would only notice the 'view' code changes I was making. Replicating
the setup at home (at least the parts necessary) means that I have
complete autonomy and can update them when appropriate. This is now the
better way...to think, Thursday morning, I didn't know how to set up svn
and by Friday night, I had it all working...open source is great.

Thanks

Craig