SSL and Apache

Alex Dean alex at crackpot.org
Thu Mar 9 10:52:38 MST 2006

On Mar 9, 2006, at 10:35 AM, Craig White wrote:

> and not muck with anything like virtualhosts in regular httpd.conf
> file
> at all - but that's because when I do, I am tripping over my own two
> feet.

It's not so bad.  The main things are :

  - You can't have more than 1 SSL site per IP:port combination.
  - You have to specify a port for every virtual host (80, 443, or
otherwise) in the <VirtualHost>.  There are differences in using
named virtual hosts vs. ip-based virtual hosts that can be confusing,
but if you only have 1 IP <VirtualHost *:80> or <VirtualHost *:443>
will do fine.

The only directives you need in the VirtualHost are :
SSLEngine On
SSLCertificateFile file.crt
SSLCertificateKeyFile file.key

Other directives may be desireable/useful, but those 3 will make it
'go'.

alex
.