IPCop and DynDNS behind NATing DSL modem

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Mar 8 23:50:48 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 22:51 -0700, Eric "Shubes" wrote:

> Can't wait to give it a try tomorrow. Thanks again for your help, Craig.
> You're one of the tops on this list (imho).
>
> P.S. Thanks to Alan (subsequent reply), too! I've been subscribed to the
> IPCop list since 9/28/05, and have all 2981 messages since then in a
> nice folder that I can search. I figured it might come in handy some
> day. (Like I have time to actually read them all)
----
thanks for the compliment but when I am sitting doing programming like I
am, and pulling my hair out, email is a good diversion and sometimes I
am quicker than others who are likely more knowledgeable about these
things (and there are a LOT of more knowledgeable people on this list).

What I do have is some experience now under my belt having started with
Linux sometime in 1999 - right about the time RH released 6.0 and I was
still fooling with 5.2

As I recall, PLUG had der.hans, frenchy, David Sinck, Brian, Kurt, Jim,
Deepak and obviously some others but I was the dummy and they all held
my hand. Which does bring up one issue sort of...as Siri was suggesting
that I was a little rough on someone last week, it did sort of make me
think how the technical expertise and the high expectations of the list
have probably slackened some as Linux has become more popular and not a
complete geek thing.

Some habits die hard and I won't often post a question without trying to
work it out myself first but that is a 'rule' that seems to have gone by
the wayside these days. For example, I was struggling with doing some
regular expressions in ruby tonight and I wanted to just ask the list
but I said to myself...no, get irb (interactive ruby) going and work
them through. While I still went to the list (because my brain is
getting soft), the experimentation that I did prior to asking the
question allowed me to phrase the question so it was simple to digest
and demonstrated that I really tried to solve it myself before going to
the list and I got a bunch of replies from a lot of exceptionally
qualified people and each reply attacked it differently and I learned
some from each one.

I figure that this is a give and take thing...while I can give a lot on
LDAP, samba, networking in general, DNS, DHCP, I am out of my element in
shell scripts, ruby, html and other things.

Now, when you get an answer from Joseph Sinclair...it's certain to be
complete, authoritative and dead on...and Jeremy is the script daddy...
and Derek knows business data modeling...and Kurt knows about everything
(except he's been spending too much time in Windows lately) and...

Craig