Number of hosts & O/S

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 8 17:43:56 MST 2006

Thank you Jeremy and Darrin.

This will help with my life long education.

Keith
------------
On Sat, 4 Mar 2006, keith smith wrote:

>   1) I seem to recall there is a way to ping or
finger a host and
> determin the o/s etc. If so please tell me.

Use nmap -O or p0f.

>   2) Also I recall there was a website that listed
hosting companies
by
> the number of hosting accounts - any ideas?

ServerWatch and NetCraft might help you.

 Jeremy C. Reed

------------------------------

keith smith wrote:

> 1) I seem to recall there is a way to ping or finger
a host and
> determin the o/s etc. If so please tell me.

Well, there's nmap, for what it's worth. It's a good
bet that's what
you
were thinking of. There's also p0f, but that's passive
(host must
connect to you).

> 2) Also I recall there was a website that listed
hosting companies by
> the number of hosting accounts - any ideas?

Not sure if they list by that, but netcraft.com has a
*lot* of info
about hosting companies.