Notes re Open office & Linux/Win data

Mark Jarvis mark.jarvis at pvmail.maricopa.edu
Wed Mar 8 12:24:52 MST 2006

OOo-2 is ->IMMENSELY<- better than OOo-1. Since I used OOo-2, trying to
use OOo-1 drives me up the wall! Awareness of problems or MSOffice vs OO
obviously varies with what one does. I frequently create a document
having outline numbering intermixed with non-numbered example lines. I
usually have to fight with MSWord to get what I want. Not too
unexpectedly, I have a similar fight with OO, but the kicks & tweaks are
a little different. Assuming that you use fonts that are available on
both sides, however, plain vanilla documents and presentations transfer
very well.

My experience is that documents saved from OO (i.e. OOo-2) as .doc files
pull up just fine in MSWord, but that documents saved from MSWord will
more often need tweaking when pulled up in OO.

Because of the many available design templates readily available in
PowerPoint, I tend to start presentations in PP, then move to OO. (I'm
sure that there's an equally good source for OO design templates, but
haven't taken the time to look for it.) Once again OO --> PP seems to be
better than PP --> OO. One caveat: many PP design templates involved
objects which rendered v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y in OOo-1, making them
effectively unusable. I haven't tested this thoroughly with OOo-2, but
the problem seems to be almost, if not entirely, eliminated.

-mj-