Notes re Open office & Linux/Win data

Mark Jarvis mark.jarvis at pvmail.maricopa.edu
Tue Mar 7 13:11:40 MST 2006

1) I switch between Linux and Windows (XP).

2) I use Open Office in both.

3) I need my data available to both.

4) I use flash drives extensively.

I've found out (the hard way) that while OO-Win has access to any and
all fonts installed in Windows, OO-Linux has its own set of fonts with
many of the common and popular fonts simply not available. The default
substitutions for common Windows mono-spaced (Courier New) and serif
(Times New Roman) fonts aren't too bad. The default substitution for the
sans serif font I used to use heavily (Arial), however, stunk. It really
messed up page and slide layout when I created something in OO-Win, then
brought it up in OO-Linux. Two other fonts, Bitstream Vera Sans and
Tahoma, however, are available in both and work quite nicely.

I keep my data in a fat32/vfat partition that is accessible to all OS
installations. I've found that adding ",umask=0,users" to the options in
the applicable line in /etc/fstab makes it writable by any user (not
just root) and any user can mount or unmount it. This also works for the
flash drives, since they also are formatted fat32/vfat. I don't know why
the "umask=0" option isn't default. BTW, some distros insist on
re-writing /etc/fstab on boot, dumping any special fixes you--the
owner--may have added. Usually giving it "400" permissions stops that,
but not always.

Just a couple of tips that might help someone.

-mj-