ntp problems

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Tue Mar 7 09:41:26 MST 2006

Alex Dean wrote:

> For the server, /etc/openntpd/ntpd.conf has 'servers poo.ntp.org'.
> (That was the default, and I didn't see any reason to change.)
>

> Mar  7 08:14:31 localhost ntpd[3468]: adjusting local clock by
> 4293.693775s
> Mar  7 08:14:31 localhost ntpd[3468]: adjtime failed: Invalid argument
>
> It seems that it knows the time is off, but it can't make the
> adjustment.  How can I get more information on that 'Invalid
> argument' in the last log entry?  I tried 'dpkg-reconfigure
> openntpd', but all that did was restart ntpd again.

You meant to type 'pool.ntp.org', right? ;)

Try manually setting your clock to within a minute or so of the real
time and check the logs again. Openntpd seems to have issues if the time
diff is too large. One way around this is to start the daemon with the
"-s" option.

dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |